Top 10 Best Solar Backpacks for Hiking in 2019
Last Updated on
A solar backpack will come with batteries as well as thin film solar cells. These panels will convert the sunlight right into electricity and will then be stored within the batteries.
This can be later on used to power up portable electronic appliances such as your mp3 players and mobile phones. The solar backpack holds plugs, monocrystalline solar panel which is really flexible, charge controller, light bulbs, battery and cords.
It provides a power of 120 watt-hours per day and can charge electronic equipments which are rated up to 300 W.
Quick Comparison: Top Solar Backpacks
**Below, you'll find our expert's reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Major Features of Solar Backpacks
Importance of Solar Backpacks
The importance of hiking solar backpack is highlighted more during critical situations where you need to charge your devices and there are no other options for it.
Since you are having a readily available power source, the charging of your devices is a breeze. These can be beneficial for not just the multiple day hikers, but also useful for single day hikers who are going into the outskirts of the backcountry.
How to Choose your Hiking Solar Backpack?
The usage of personal devices is increasing tremendously over the past few years and so is the demand for solar powered backpack.
As these panels have become light in weight and is more efficient, the entire products of the solar charging cases as well as backpacks have begun to give the nature lovers the best power generation capacity. This article will help you choose the best hiking solar backpack which suits your needs.
Since there are lots of models available in the market, it would be quite confusing for the first-time users. While settling on which solar powered backpack to buy, you need to check with the weight, power, benefits, durability, hydration bladder, size and volume, solar power capacity, battery power and of course the budget.
Which devices you use while hiking
In addition to this, you should also hold a clear picture on which all devices you need to charge since this will effectively help to narrow down your choice list. Next one is to check with the battery storage flexibility as those backpacks which have integrated solar batteries will be having more flexibility when compared to those without.
The price of solar backpack
The hiking solar backpacks are available from a starting range of $75 to a high end range of $500. The ones which are of low cost will be having less number of solar panels. Keep in mind your everyday needs, sun exposure and many other factors before you settle for a particular model.
How to Clean Hiking Solar Backpack?
Since there is an integrated solar panel in your backpack, you should always make sure that you remove it correctly and place it aside safely and then start cleaning your backpack. Also check with the maker instruction before you detach the solar panels from your bag for a safe removal.
How to Machine Wash Solar Backpack?
- Empty your backpack and check all the pockets, seams and corners to make sure that there is nothing hidden in it. You can even use a vacuum cleaner for taking out the debris which is lodged inside the unreachable areas. Once this is done, leave all the pockets unzipped.
- Make sure that you take out the solar panel attached to it, the other metal frames and the removable straps. You can clean these things separately since they need extra care.
- Check whether there is enough room for the backpack to move within the machine before you drop it inside for washing.
- You can also you a laundry bag if you have a bigger size. Alternatively you can also turn the bag inside out or use a pillow case.
- Prior to start washing, rinse the machine and confirm that you there is no residues of detergent from the previous use.
- You can use gentle detergents for washing, usually the one which is suggested by the manufacturer. Make sure that you don’t use any kind of fabric softener.
- You can wash under cold water.
- Once the washing process is over, take it out and let it dry under natural sun light. However ensure that you don’t place it under the strong ultraviolet rays of the sun for drying. Do not tumble dry.
- Before storing it back for your next use, ensure that you dry it 100 percent.
How to Hand Wash Solar Backpack?
- If your backpack is too small or too large for a machine wash, then you can hand wash it in a tub or using a basin based on the size of your backpack.
- Empty all the contents inside the backpack including the solar panels and the metal frames and then prepare it for a wash.
- Fill a bath tub with luke warm water. Make sure that you don’t use hot water as there are chances for the colors to get blend.
- Add to it a small amount of detergent which is soap free. If your backpack is waterproof, then ensure that you don’t use any fabric softener or regular detergent as it may damage the material.
- Use a soft brush to scrub the surface of the backpack, especially those areas which are dirty. You can make use of a toothbrush for cleaning the areas which are having tough stains.
- Keep the bag for drying. Make sure that you don’t place it anywhere direct to the heat sources for drying.
- Before storing it, check and confirm that the backpack is 100 percent dry and ready for storage.
Note: If the backpack care label states that you should not fully submerge the backpack in water, then use a wet cloth along with some amount of cleaner for cleaning.
Review of some of the Best Solar Backpacks for Hiking
The ECEEN Hydration Solar Backpack is a well-designed backpack which is well-equipped with an addition of a Green, Earth-friendly solar charging system. The bag contains 1.8 liters water bag inside which helps keep hydrated all through the day.
The front flap comes with a really light weight and flexible integrated solar charger module that charges your cell phone, iPad and many more. The detachable solar backpack is stylish and durable as well. It incorporates all the facilities of the latest solar panel technology.
The Solar Charger Internal Frame backpack is light weight and is integrated with 7 Watts removable solar panel. This solar panel is having an efficiency of 22 percent more than any other solar panel packs.
Although it has got only 1pc monocrystalline silicon panels, it captures more amount of sunlight and coverts these into electric power. It provides a cool and comfortable feeling for the hiker as you can sit back and relax while your electronic devices are getting charged.
Whether you are using it for simply charging a single device or more, this model will help you stay connected always. This is fully loaded with all the technical features which you need all through hiking.
There are many factors which decide whether a particular solar panel module is the right option for your trails or not. You might find hard to choose a particular model from the vast number of collections.
However, before you settle down with a specific model, it is important to set the location of adventure, placement of the solar panel, charging power, wattage power and should also check whether the system is light in weight or not.
These are the factors which highly influences your trip. Lighter the weight, more comfortable you will be!!!
image credit: amazon.com rei.com,